By Abby Maher We live in a society that regards heterosexual and cisgender as the norm. For LGBTQ+ folks, this means we are so often excluded from the institutions and traditions that were built on the premise that heterosexual, cisgender people are the standard against which everyone else is judged. As an LGBTQ+ person, this […] More
By Abby Maher The alpha-stim device has been billed as a drug-free treatment option for pain anxiety, depression and insomnia. It functions by passing a low-voltage electrical charge through the body between two electrodes. For treatments involving anxiety, depression, or insomnia, the electrodes are placed on each ear via clips. The device is worn for […] More
By Nattalie Roepke Have you or your partner had difficulties conceiving? If so, you are not alone. According to womanshealth.gov, 10% of US women struggle with becoming pregnant or carrying to term. Infertility is defined by the World Health Organization as being unable to conceive after 12 months of regular unprotected sex. Some reproductive specialists […] More
Harmony US has a new intern we would love for you to meet, Abby. Hello everyone, I am a master’s level student in Northwestern University’s clinical mental health counseling program. Having completed a practicum experience through which I provided supervised counseling to a variety of individuals, I am now in my internship year where I […] More
Harmony US is pleased to introduce you to one of our amazing mental health interns, Nattalie. Hello Everyone. My name is Nattalie Roepke. I am a student at Northwestern University and have joined HarmonyUS to complete internship within my Master’s degree program. I am a Florida native and love calling Tampa my home. I have […] More
Generally, Learning and Development (or L&D) professionals ask themselves the question when developing training for the cannabis industry: “How can I deliver services as quickly as possible in accordance with the wishes of the customer?” On the other hand, others ask a more fundamental question: “Does the service actually work?” To determine the effectiveness of any service, […] More
The brain works on an electrical and chemical process. The chemical process comprises only 2% of the brain’s activity, leaving 98% as electrical activity. Alpha-Stim treatments are safe and effective therapy to treat anxiety, insomnia, depression, and pain. Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (CES) device delivers a natural level of microcurrent, using small clips worn on the […] More
Manage Conflict: The Six Skills Today on the Gottman Relationship Blog, we continue the discussion of Manage Conflict by introducing Dr. Gottman’s six skills of conflict management. Many of us connect all too well with comedian Mitch Hedberg’s feelings when he quips, “I got in an argument with a girlfriend inside of a tent. That’s a bad […] More
#1 New York Times Bestseller
Over 3 million copies sold
In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be “positive” all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people.
For decades, we’ve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. “F**k positivity,” Mark Manson says. “Let’s be honest, shit is f**ked and we have to live with it.” In his wildly popular Internet blog, Manson doesn’t sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is—a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let’s-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up.
Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited—”not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault.” Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek.
There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives.
The post The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life appeared first on IACCCE.